Last spring, UC Santa Barbara (UCSB) students elected 27 candidates as their representatives for the 70th Associated Students (AS) Senate, with three more being appointed in October following vacancies left open after the election. The Bottom Line (TBL) reviewed the resolutions and bills authored by each of this year’s senators to see how their work on the Senate floor compared to the platforms they ran on.
Off-Campus Senator Addinall ran with Campus United on a platform of:
- Installing emergency phone locations at bus stops and around Isla Vista (I.V.)
- Reworking the dining commons to allow for guest swipes and roll over swipes
- Building community by having regular meditation events on campus and in I.V.
- Have administrators host office hours around I.V. and UCSB
|Feb. 12||Resolution to Reduce Single-Use Plastics in California and Supporting AB1080/SB54|
|Apr. 15||Bill to Update Public Safety Commission Legal Code|
|Apr. 1||A Resolution to Amend AS Financial Policies to Adjust to Coronavirus Pandemic|
Off-Campus Senator Almario ran with Isla Vista Party on a platform of:
- Collaborating with AS Student Initiated Recruitment and Retention Committee’s (SIRRC) Book Bank to expand resources such as school supplies and establish a permanent location for the organization
- Construct permanent hydration stations throughout I.V.
- Create study spaces through I.V.
- Extend the AS Food Bank to an off-campus location
- Reduce the cost of night/weekend on-campus parking
- Work with Isla Vista Tenants Union (IVTU) to create workshops to help students transition to living in Isla Vista
Off-Campus Senator Cash ran with Isla Vista Party on a platform of:
- Create more study spaces in Embarcadero Hall, I.V. Theater, and I.V. parks
- Build off of Alcohol & Drug Program’s initiative to give out free drug purity tests
- Advocate for mental health resources
|Jan. 29||A Bill to Change IVTU Legal Code|
Off-Campus Senator Etessami ran with Campus United on a platform of:
- Increase a sense of community by creating outdoor gyms and a student-run flea market in I.V.
- Create a comprehensive website compiling local clubs, organizations, and events (including improving OrgSync’s website)
- Add more garbage, recycling, and compost receptacles to I.V.
- Adding mirrors to stop lights in I.V.
- Host educational lectures to improve communication between students and officers
Off-Campus Senator Ferguson ran with Campus United on a platform of:
- Push for acceptance of EBT/Food Stamps at convenience stores on campus and in I.V.
- Lowering tuition costs and student fees
- Increase scholarship opportunities for students
- Host more community events in I.V.
- Expanding UCSB’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) resources in I.V.
- Increasing “resources for survivors of mental, physical, emotional, or sexual assault, as well as collaborating with [UCSB’s Police Department] UCPD”
Off-Campus Senator Hadidi ran with Isla Vista Party on a platform of:
- Extend AS loans and instill transparency of emergency grants for off-campus students to help with housing insecurity
- Create greater mental health resource accessibility online and in I.V.
- Collaborate with on-campus organizations to support visibility and finances toward student-led events
- Expand Campus Learning Assistance Services (CLAS) services with an emphasis on upper-division courses
- Increase funding to the community Financial Fund, Undocumented students Services, and Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)
- Allocate more funding to create more programs for housing and food insecure students
|Nov. 13||A Bill to Revise SCORE Legal Code|
|Jan. 15||Bill to Make Students Against Sexual Assault a Commission|
|Feb. 19||A Resolution to Abandon the European Traditions Requirement|
|Feb. 26||A Bill to Increase AS Outreach to Students|
|Oct. 16||A Resolution to Support the Development of the Basic Needs Resource Center and Book Grant|
|Nov. 20||A Resolution to Condemn the Human Rights Violations in Chile|
Off-Campus Senator Lyon ran with Campus United on a platform of:
- Establish more compost bins in I.V.
- Eliminate predatory police practices in I.V.
- Create more study spaces in I.V.
- Increase AS Senate transparency
- Position AS UCSB as a model in the fight against climate change with a UC-wide resolution
- Restructure Financial Aid’s website for simplicity and accessibility
|Nov. 20||A Bill to Update Investment Advisory Legal Code|
|Feb. 26||Resolution to Direct elections board to put a lock in fee increase for DPW on spring 2020 ballot|
|Feb. 26||Bill to Create Two New Positions in Zero Waste Committee|
|Apr. 1||A Bill to Update Investment Advisory Legal Code|
Off-Campus Senator Moon ran with Campus United on a platform of:
- Create a textbook grant program in which students can apply for and use money for textbook purchases
- Expand the AS Food Bank’s services to monthly pop-up events in I.V.
- Enhance library resources, increase study spaces, and work with the library to get newer laptops for student checkout
- Work to get affordable parking passes and collaborate with the External Vice President of Local Affairs (EVPLA) office and Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD) to conduct a parking student
- Expand the Blue Life safety system on campus and in I.V.
Off-Campus Senator Segura ran with Isla Vista Party on a platform of:
- Establish a stronger campus WiFi network
- Expand bike racks across campus
- Extend the hours of Student Health, CAPS, and Financial Aid
- Implement test material vending machines at major lecture hall
- Work with organizations to add “Anti-Blackness, Sexuality and Gender Diversity, and Mental Health trainings to all UCSB employees, as well as Campus organizations”
- Establish pop-up stores and electronic bulletin boards to ensure off-campus and on-campus students have access to the same information
Off-Campus Senator Tendolkar ran with Isla Vista Party on a platform of:
- Increase accessibility of CAPS
- Establish more locations for the AS Food Bank
- Push for the school to provide free menstrual poducts
- Decrease “hostile police presence,” particularly during events such as Halloween and Deltopia
|Oct. 23||A Bill to Update the Global Gaucho Commission Legal Code|
|Oct. 30||A Resolution to Reissue to Make UCSB a Sanctuary Campus|
|Jan. 29||A Resolution Condemning Discrimination and Exclusion on the Basis of Nationality And Origin at UC Santa Barbara|
|Jan. 29||A Bill to Expand Accessibility to AS Senators|
|April 15||A Resolution in Support of Expanding CalFresh Acceptance on Campus|
Off-Campus Senator West ran with Campus United on a platform of:
- Increase bike racks in I.V.
- Work with Isla Vista restaurants to increase food options for people with dietary restrictions
- Increase composting and recycling in I.V.
- Make scantrons and blue books more widely available in I.V.
- Create more community events such as food truck days
- Increase study spaces in I.V.
|Oct. 30||Revisions to Transfer Student Alliance (TSA) Legal Code|
Off-Campus Senator White ran with Campus United on a platform of:
- “Create a consistent training program that provides students with the capabilities and means to deploy Naxolone”
- Expland the Blue Light system in I.V.
- Improve student-law enforcement relations by hosting “Know Your Rights” workshops and establishing means of communication between students and Community Organization Services (CSO) and Isla Vista Foot Patrol (IVFP)
- Increase availability of free menstrual products on campus
- Advocate for greater mental health resources
- Establish a library rental system for students to borrow computer and phone chargers
- Work towards online open-access textbooks to lower textbook prices
Senator Aluri was appointed to the 70th AS Senate on Oct. 23 following a vacancy after spring elections. Since being appointed, Aluri has not contributed to the authorship of any resolutions or bills thus far this year.
Additionally, Senator Davis was also appointed on Oct. 23 to fill the vacancy of on-campus senators.
|Nov. 20||A Resolution Declaring the 70th Associated Students Senate’s Mission Statement|
On-Campus Senator Foreman ran with Campus United on a platform of:
- Establish “alternate bus routes during the beginning and end of the quarter” to increase accessibility to the train station and airport, as well as generally making campus and I.V. more accessible throughout the year
- Repair bike paths on- and off-campus, as well as implement quarterly check-ins on their structure
- Create a committee of AS Senators focused on implementing open source textbooks
- Increase funding for mental health resources
|Nov. 6||A Bill to Combine all BCU Minutes in Senate Agenda|
|Nov. 6||A Resolution to Reissue Support for a Ban on the Use of Toxic Herbicides at UCSB & in the UC System|
|Jan. 8||A Resolution to Support the Removal of Eucalyptus Trees on the UCSB Campus|
|Jan. 29||A Resolution to Support UCSB Students Biking Endeavors on Campus|
|Feb. 12||A Resolution to Find Valentines for Single AS Senators|
|Oct. 30||A Bill to Change Individual Senator Assessments to Electronic Format|
On-Campus Senator Rojas ran with Isla Vista Party on a platform of:
- Increase CAPS resources, such as the number of available therapists, without increasing student fees
- Create an online system for free textbooks and advocate for professors to use AS Publications
- Work with EOP to create an Early Referral Program app that connects at risk students with grater resources
- Collaborate wtih EOP to make grants more accessible
- Design weekly workshops in the residence halls to help students navigate the transition to college
On-Campus Senator Swanson ran with Campus United on a platform of:
- Address textbook affordability through greater used book sales and increasing awareness for existing resources
- “Beautify campus through mural projects”
- Implement year-round farmer’s markets
- Increase environmentally friendly practices, such as composting, in I.V. and on campus
- Expand study spaces at the Student Resource Building (SRB) and University Center (UCen) during midterm season
- Increase transparency of AS office hours and events
|Feb. 5||A Resolution to Address Textbook Affordability|
|Feb. 12||A Bill to Grant Freedom of the Press|
|Feb. 12||A Bill to Change The Bottom Line Legal Code|
|Jan. 8||A Resolution to Support the removal of Eucalyptus Trees on the UCSB Campus|
|Jan. 15||A Bill to Create an International Student Senator|
|Feb. 5||A Resolution to Support Committing UCSB Towards Achieving 100% Clean and Renewable Energy|
Senator Mitchell was appointed as the College of Creative Studies Senator on Oct. 23 when no other candidates ran for the position in the spring election.
|Jan. 22||A Resolution in Support of Rolling Over Leftover Meal Plan Swipes|
College of Engineering Senator Reyes ran as an independent on a platform of:
- Expand technology accessibility such as 3-D printers and Linux laptops for students to borrow
- Expand CLAS services for all required lower division engineering courses
- Increase the number of engineering senators
|Jan. 29||A Resolution in Support to Ban Facial Recognition on UCSB Campus|
|April 15||A Resolution to End the Use of ProctorU at UC Santa Barbara|
College of Letters & Science Senator Campos ran with Campus United on a platform of:
- Implement a mentorship program for transfer students
- Address textbook affordability by increasing availability of academic resources, including creating an e-book course reserve system
- Grow CLAS resources such as major-based writing programs and test taking workshops for social science majors
- Add a “favorites” course option on UCSB’s GOLD
- Increase availability of feminine hygiene products and emergency contraceptives on campus and in I.V.
|Nov. 6||A Resolution Directing the AS Executive Director to Initiate the Creation of an AS Mobile Application|
|Jan. 29||A Bill to Change IVTU Legal Code|
|Oct. 30||A Bill to Update Pearman Fellowship Legal Code|
|Nov. 13||A Bill to Update the EVPSA Office Legal Code|
|Jan. 15||A Bill to Change CODE Legal Code|
|Jan. 15||A Bill to Add a Technology Media Coordinator Position to AS Office of the President|
|Jan. 29||Revisions to Elections Code|
|Jan. 29||Revisions to Constitution|
|Feb. 26||A Resolution in Support of a UC System-Wide COLA and the UCSC Strikers|
|Mar. 4||A Bill to Change The Attorney General Legal Code|
|April 15||A Resolution in Support of Improved Accessibility for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students at UCSB|
College of Letters & Science Senator Chocron ran with Campus United on a platform of:
- Establish emergency procedures in the case of active shooter and bomb threats
- Expand library resources such as establishing a rental program for chargers, improving library WiFi, and creating free printing
- Expand CLAS resources for students in various majors and minors
Thus far, Senator Chocron has not contributed to the authorship of any resolutions or bills this year.
College of Letters & Science Senator Dumlao ran with Isla Vista Party on a platform of:
- Collaborate with the office of EVPLA to create solar-powered charging stations on- and off-campus
- Create community study areas in the library for people in similar studies
- Increase student outreach
- Increase transparency and outreach of AS resources
College of Letters & Science Senator Danielzadeh ran with Isla Vista Party on a platform of:
- Collaborate with department heads to add more professional-oriented majors
- Modify GOLD to prioritize upperclassmen on waiting lists for major courses
- Remove the fee associated with changing grading options past the deadline
- Extend CLAS services by providing resources for more courses, accommodating different learning methods, and providing one-on-one tutoring
- Promote the addition of job-oriented courses such as Excel proficiency workshops
- Develop an online page for students to connect with those in their major
- Expand health services to include weekend hours
- Pursue measures to promote women’s safety
- Organize a “way for students to come together & participate in marches and events pertaining to their passions & interests”
|Nov. 6||A Resolution in Support of the Kurdish People and Rojava|
|Jan. 15||A Resolution Condemning Voter Suppression in Isla Vista|
|Nov. 6||A Bill to Update Queer Commission Legal Code|
|Jan. 29||A Bill to Make Isla Vista Arts a BCU|
|Feb. 26||Update to Pardall Center Governance Board Legal Code|
University-Owned Housing Senator
University-Owned Housing Senator Adbullahi ran with Isla Vista Party on a platform of financially assisting employed students, collaborating with AS Food Bank and Calfresh to expand convenient access to food, and improve academic advising for students to ensure on time graduation. Senator Adbullahi did not contribute to the authorship of any resolutions or bills this year before tendering their resignation to AS Senate on Jan. 8.
Transfer Senator Sway ran with Campus United on a platform of:
- Increase outreach to incoming transfer students in order to educate them on available academic and housing resources
- Promote sustainability and improve waste management
- Create a transfer specific Graduate School Student Mentor-Mentee program
- Implement surveys to increasing dietary accommodations in the dining commons
|Oct. 30||Revisions to TSA Legal Code|
|Nov. 6||A Resolution in Support of the UCSB Confucius Institute|
|Nov. 20||A Bill to Update Investment Advisory Legal Code|
|April 15||Bill to Update Public Safety Commission Legal Code|