You Had Me at “Breakfast”

0
953

Courtney Hampton

Photos by Ayeyi Aboagye

My favorite meal of the day is breakfast, very closely beating out second breakfast and brunch. So, when I saw that Crushcakes & Café in Isla Vista served breakfast all day, I was sold.

This spacious café nestled in the Loop on Trigo Road is whimsical and bright. Mellow modern rock music plays in the background, while students study or grab a bite to eat with friends. Cafés like this could easily become frou-frou, but street art-esque decorations give Crushcakes an edge.

Although mostly known for its cupcakes and desserts, Crushcakes also serves breakfast, soups, salads, sandwiches and paninis. I ordered “The Lucky Goat” from the breakfast menu, which has scrambled eggs, goat cheese, sautéed greens, chunks of potato and avocado wrapped in a grilled whole-wheat tortilla for $9.95. I adored the creamy goat cheese and the crispness of the tortilla, but I thought the potatoes did not match the texture. This breakfast burrito also suffered from the typical burrito flaw: all my favorite ingredients hid in one corner of the burrito instead of being evenly distributed throughout. On the side, I ate a mixed green salad topped with diced tomatoes and pumpkin seeds, which added a pleasant crunch.

For a caffeine boost, I ordered “The Dark Side,” a $4 extra dark chocolate mocha served in a large java cup. White cream speckled with bits of dark chocolate coated the top, and the rich chocolate was powerful but still harmonized with the coffee flavor.

Friends around me raved about the Adult Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Melted cheddar and jack cheeses with sautéed onions, jalapeños and bacon on grilled sourdough for $7.95 is the perfect meal after a night of traversing DP. Pair it with a warm bowl of tomato soup on a rainy day to warm you up.

I came to Crushcakes hungry and left full and delighted by the bright presentation of the food, but the steep bill was a little dissatisfying. This is a fun café to splurge on, so save Crushcakes & Café for a date night or for when parents or out-of-town friends come to visit.

Crushcakes & Café

6533 Trigo Road #105

Isla Vista, CA 93117

Open Sunday – Wednesday 9 a.m. -7 p.m.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday late night menu until 2 a.m.