Home » News » Currently Reading:

New Bank of America Debit Card Fee Prompts Alternative Forms of Banking

October 11, 2011 News 4 Comments
bank-of-america
Alexander L.Yu

Bank of America, the country’s largest bank in terms of monetary assets, announced a new $5 monthly charge to its customers last week. This fee, expected to take effect starting January 1, 2012, was a response to new government regulations imposed on businesses, which cut the fees collected from debit card transactions by about half.

To make up for that monetary deficit, consumers using Bank of America debit cards would be expected to pay this fee for swiping their debit cards at least once during that month.

Bank of America is not the only nationwide bank considering this debit fee. Many others, including the fourth-largest bank Wells Fargo and second-largest bank J.P. Morgan Chase are either considering similar fees or are currently in the process of testing them in certain regions.

Students dependent on fee-less money management will be hit hard, as they now have an important decision to make: staying with larger banks could mean extra fees, while choosing smaller banks or credit unions could mean less security or accessibility for their money.

Many have become quite accustomed to the reliability and efficiency of bigger banks, whose nationwide branches greatly increase accessibility for customers who are far away from their hometown banks.

“I would be willing to switch to a local credit union, but [big banks] make online banking really easy and convenient,” said second-year literature major Brittany Crowe.

Second-year communications major Rachel Culhane uses a debit card from a credit union located more than 150 miles away, and has desired a “big bank” brand checking account simply for its convenience.

David Kwong, a third-year biology major at Santa Barbara City College, who uses a Bank of America debit card, thinks that the greater the number of locations a bank has the more accessible it is for customers who need help.
“I feel pretty good [about Bank of America],” said Kwong. “I lost my debit card a couple of months ago, and they helped me get it back right away. That’s the good thing about a big-name company: they can help you right away, since they have so many employees.”

But does the upcoming Bank of America fee worry Kwong?
“For me, I don’t feel too bad since it’s only $5. People can make more than that in one hour, but some need the money,” he said.

Fourth-year communications major Anthony Fernandez, who uses a Wells Fargo debit card, is not discouraged by the prospect of these fees in the future, and sees this as acceptable for big businesses to do.

“If there has to be a way for them to make back the money they are losing, this is a pretty reasonable way to do it. Five dollars really isn’t that big of a deal, though I’d rather spend that on a Subway foot-long or at Freebirds. [A monthly fee] is much better than charging you every time you use it; those can really rack up,” said Fernandez.

While it is unclear exactly what will happen in the future, Bank of America’s decision to initiate a monthly fee for debit cards could either lead to other large banks following suit, making such fees standard business practice, or cause them to abandon the idea as more customers move to smaller, more local banks.

Currently there are "4 comments" on this Article:

1. J.G. says:

The Durbin Amendment is solely responsible for the wave of new bank fees. BofA and all other big banks are looking for ways to make up for lost revenues and, frankly, I can’t blame them, even as I don’t enjoy paying higher fees.

It’s been abundantly clear ever since the debit interchange limit was first proposed that it was ultimately going to hurt consumers in the form of higher fees and that is precisely what is currently happening. http://blog.unibulmerchantservices.com/banks-discontinue-debit-rewards-programs

2. CK says:

Find a local credit union and you don’t have to deal with these profit margin issues from these Big banks.

I like my community credit union, OBee Credit Union: https://www.obee.com (I’m based out of Tumwater, WA). No Fee debit cards, with reward points. Free ATM machines, mobile banking, online banking phone teller, etc. They (and other credit unions) offer shared branching throughout the US and even at a few other counties like Germany.

There are specialized transaction ATM/Kiosks popping up in convenience stores where you can actually deposit a check and make other transactions. You don’t need to set foot in an actual branch anymore – there is hardly anything you can’t do do – you can apply for loans online at your credit unions website. You just need to research some local credit unions and do some comparisons to find the one that fits your needs the best.

3. mBank says:

I have been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles or blog posts in this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website. Reading this information So i am happy to exhibit that I’ve a very good uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed. I most without a doubt will make sure to do not disregard this website and provides it a look regularly.

Comment on this Article:

Twitter Feed

Arts & Entertainment

3LAU Set To Ring In the 2014 School Year at UCSB’s Welcome Back Concert

29 Sep 2014

3LAU

Matt Mersel Executive Content Editor The Welcome Back concert has long been a special treat for new students here at University of California, Santa Barbara, ringing in the new school year with an extravagant concert held under Storke Tower on the first weekend of the year. For the 2014 iteration, …

Great Performances Save FYF Fest 2014 From Growing Pains

5 Sep 2014

FYF

Ashkan Karimloo Staff Writer On Aug. 23 and 24, 2014, Los Angeles’ largest music festival opened its doors for an eleventh consecutive year. Boasting a lineup that included decade-old, post-punk revival bands such as The Strokes and Interpol alongside fledgling electronic acts such as Les Sins and Kelela, FYF Fest …