3-D: Failure or Feat?

1
1237

By: Christie Margaris
OPINION

In light of the upcoming re-release of the classic film “Titanic,” I feel the timing is appropriate to sing praises of the 3-D craze taking over the industry. Now, I know there are a lot of you out there who think three-dimensional films are a horrible idea. I am well aware that plenty of people think three-dimensional films are a terrible idea. They ruin the legitimacy of our films, the glasses give us headaches, blah, blah, blah.

Well, here is what I have to say about that: Suck it up. Wearing paper glasses that are a discomfort to you should be the least of your worries. I don’t think 3-D is necessarily a bad thing. In my opinion, it enhances the intensity of any climactic action. It sucks in viewers, engaging them in the plot, not to mention the visual effects become even more impressive. Everyone knows “Avatar” was a box-office hit. I guarantee the 3-D glasses had something to do with it. There’s something about 3-D that brings us closer- literally and figuratively- into the lives of these onscreen characters. Personally, I think James Cameron is a genius. So if he thinks remaking the “Titanic” in 3-D is a good idea, then I wholeheartedly support his decision.

And let’s think about 3-D with regard to “Titanic.” Each moment of intense drama, emotion or action would be amplified by 3-D. The audience would feel a greater impact from the tragedy that struck the passengers. Something would resonate deep within the audience. The crowds would leave the theaters even more moved and impressed by the quality of the film than ever before. The way I see it, 3-D enhances visual effects, thus heightening moviegoers’ experience. Besides, who doesn’t want to see Leo DiCaprio’s youthful face, up close and personal?

I decided to conduct a little survey of my own, asking a couple friends and neighbors what they thought about “Titanic” coming out in 3-D, and their opinions were a bit mixed.

“I don’t know; I mean, I have no issues with 3-D. “Avatar” was an awesome film, but to tamper with “Titanic,” one of the classics? It just doesn’t seem right,” said second-year psychology major Maggie Kravchuk.

Meanwhile, fourth-year sociology major Aleks Markelov admits that while 3-D can be a bit tasteless in some instances, it will most likely bring “Titanic” even more notability as one of the greatest films of all time.

“It’s definitely going to be a box-office smash; that should not be surprising to anyone. Even though some may view 3-D as being tacky, I doubt they would pass up the chance to see such a timeless film on the big screen again,” said Markelov.

“There’s no denying the power this film holds on audiences worldwide. 3-D will just improve viewers’ experiences,” added second-year global studies major Sarah Featherton.

Only time will tell if people will respond warmly to the new edition of the film. “Titanic” hit theatres nationwide earlier in the week. For those of you who are skeptical about 3-D, I encourage you to give it a chance. And if you have yet to immerse yourself in the 3-D experience, well, you know what they say. Don’t knock it ‘till you try it.