Now that midterms are coming to a close for students at UCSB, many people have started planning for Valentine’s Day. For couples, Valentine’s Day is a great day to celebrate and enjoy each other’s company. For singles, however, it can either be a day to dread or a day to celebrate their “singleness,” either with their friends or by embracing the recent “treat yourself” phenomenon.
So how does a single person like myself celebrate? In the past, and even now, I get cheesy and sweet (but well appreciated) cards from family, sometimes accompanied with a small box of chocolate.
Recently, I would get together with a couple of friends and spend the morning or afternoon with them. This year, I plan to go the “treat yourself” route and give myself a little evening treat after classes while I curl up in a blanket and read my favorite book or watch a movie.
For couples looking for something fun to do on Valentine’s, I’d suggest keeping it simple with an afternoon picnic, maybe taking a leisurely stroll around the UCSB Lagoon, or staying in and watching a movie together. Any of these make for a nice date. They may sound cliché, but sometimes those are the things that are the most enjoyable. So take a break from the stress of planning the perfect date and keep it simple.
There are numerous Valentine’s Day events happening around Santa Barbara this year. So, get out there and explore what Santa Barbara has to offer, with some loved ones or friends this Valentine’s day. Some fun date possibilities include:
- Galentine’s Day Party at Cat Therapy on Feb. 14 from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. ($30 admission or use promo code VALENTINESDAY to get 15 percent off) is a pet-friendly option. Location: 1213 State Street Suite L, Santa Barbara, CA 93101
- All You Need is Love Scavenger Hunt at Hilton Santa Barbara Beachfront Resort on Feb. 14 – Feb. 28 is a free anytime event. “Explore 24 acres of lush gardens and landscapes for eight Valentine’s mailboxes and discover a trail of romantic lyrics penned by Taylor Swift, The Beatles, Elton John and other notable artists!” Location: 633 East Cabrillo Blvd., Santa Barbara, CA 93101
- Amazing Scavenger Hunt Valentine’s Day in Santa Barbara allows you to explore the city with two to five friends with Urban Adventure Quest. Location: 1 Garden Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101
- Valentine’s Sunset Waterfront Kayak is an adventurous date idea, which goes on from Feb. 14 through Feb. 28 during 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Location: 32 E Haley St, Santa Barbara, 93101
- Show your love with a heart-shaped pizza from Lucky Penny all day Valentine’s day (9a.m. – 11 p.m.). Location: 127 Anacapa Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101
- “Starlight and Sunlight” Art Exhibit is a free art show at Faulkner Gallery West from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m that is great for an artsy date with your friends or significant other. “Julianne Martin, photographer, has a solo exhibition at the Faulkner Gallery West. Her photographs capture the beauty of California night skies, seascapes, and landscapes.” Location: 40 East Anapamu St., Santa Barbara, CA 93102
Just remember that it’s not about whether or not you have a date; it’s about enjoying the time you have with your loved ones, whether it be your significant other, your family, your friends, or even yourself.