iClickers and UCSB Students Have a Love-Hate Relationship, Study Finds

Illustration by Kamran Yunus | Senior Copy Editor

Gwendolyn Wu

With thousands of students purchasing iClickers for class every year, one question seems to weigh heavily on many minds: why do students purchase handheld devices to get points for class?

Preliminary results from a survey of 1,632 UCSB students conducted by the Instructional Development (ID) department show that, despite expressing unhappiness with needing to buy an iClicker which costs $60.34 including tax at the UCSB bookstore students still found some value in using them.

“The strongest agreement was that the [iClickers] do motivate people to go to class, so they were effective in that sense,” said Lisa Berry, ID’s senior instructional consultant and one of the survey’s conductors, in an interview with The Bottom Line.

Of the students who replied via Gauchospace, humanities students said they were less likely to enjoy using iClickers than STEM or social science students. Furthermore, humanities students were less likely to say that the devices aided their understanding of course material, while STEM and social science students felt neutral about it.

Some students responded with ire to open-ended questions about cost, grading iClicker answers, and using them as attendance measures. “It stops working when it’s graded because instead of a learning experience it becomes frusterating [sic] some students don’t comprehend material immediately in lecture,” wrote one anonymous survey respondent.

On average, students across all majors felt that iClickers were best used when they marked participation points rather than in-class performance.

“I do feel like the iClickers motivate me to attend class because most of my professors who use them also use them to gauge attendance,” said Christian Walker, a fourth year communication major. “Overall, I think if a class requires them, we should be using them daily.”

Faculty members also felt positive about iClickers, saying that enforcing iClicker use has helped them shape their lectures. By posing iClicker questions about information discussed in class, it’s much easier to figure out what students are confused about and adjust lesson plans accordingly, said Roger Freedman and David Lea, professors in the physics and earth science departments, respectively.

“It’s an amazingly powerful tool for formative assessment — that is, for assessing in real time what my students do and do not understand, so that I can give them real-time feedback,” Freedman said.

Lea’s students have told him that incorporating iClickers into class time has helped them better prepare for exams.

“I believe this is so because [iClicker] questions convert class concepts, which sometimes can be overwhelming in their complexity, into discrete questions with clear answers,” Lea said.

Not all professors are a fan of iClickers, however. After using them for five years to take attendance and gauge student perspectives on social issues in lecture, sociology professor Victor Rios said that he stopped using iClickers in 2015 due to the price.

“Over the years I came to the conclusion that students were paying too much for a very basic piece of technology,” Rios wrote in an email to The Bottom Line. “I wanted to make sure my students were given an opportunity to find affordable course materials. I realized iClicker had established a monopoly on campus over other venues for digital learning.”

While it may be the technology of choice in the classroom, Berry said that she was surprised by what she called “misinformation” among students about the iClicker company’s financial relationship with UCSB.

“We have no contract with iClicker,” Berry said. “We don’t make any money off of using their technology.” The bookstore purchases iClickers through a distributor the same way it does with textbooks, she said.

Most students surveyed bought their iClickers new, but approximately 22.4 percent purchased used devices, presumably through channels like the Free and For Sale Facebook group.

An iClicker app also exists, but UCSB has not yet officially adopted the technology.

UCSB offers one alternative to buying iClickers new, which is to rent one from the Associated Students Ticket Office for $5 per quarter. The Ticket Office typically is out of stock after the first few days of the quarter.

“I do think iClickers are expensive, but depending on your major, it’s actually an investment for your time at UCSB,” said Ashley Roy, a third year biopsychology major who has used her iClicker every quarter so far. Roy added, however, that the university should increase the number of iClicker rentals it offers.

Meanwhile, Berry and the department will continue examining the results, with a final study report due in the coming month.

Rios and a portion of survey respondents were hopeful that a different technology will be implemented eventually. But for now, the problem with iClickers seems to be clear to students concerned with cost and its implementation on campus.

“There are free alternatives to iClickers so I kind of hate that we’re required to buy them at all,” an anonymous survey respondent wrote.

Gwendolyn Wu
A living The Bottom Line fossil, 2017-2018 Editor-in-Chief Gwendolyn Wu is a fourth year double majoring in history and sociology. She is most likely multi-tasking and inhabiting the couch in the newsroom as you read this bio.

1. Basically to follow up on the update of this subject matter on your web site and would wish to
    let you know just how much I appreciated the time you took to produce this handy post.
    Inside the post, you spoke regarding how to definitely handle
    this issue with all comfort. It would be my personal pleasure to get
    together some more thoughts from your website and come
    as much as offer other individuals what I learned from you.
    Many thanks for your usual wonderful effort.

2. This is the perfect web site for anybody who wishes to find out about this topic.
    You know a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not that I personally would want to?HaHa).
    You definitely put a brand new spin on a topic that’s been written about for
    a long time. Wonderful stuff, just great!

3. Thank you for sharing excellent informations.
    Your web-site is so cool. I am impressed by the
    details that you have on this website. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject.

Bookmarked this web page, will come back for extra articles.
    You, my pal, ROCK! I found simply the info I already searched everywhere
    and simply could not come across. What a great website.

4. I blog frequently and I seriously appreciate your information. Your
    article has truly peaked my interest. I will take a note of your website and keep checking for new information about once per week.
    I subscribed to your Feed too.

5. great post, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector do not understand this.
    You must proceed your writing. I’m confident, you’ve a great
    readers’ base already!