Five Questions With a Senator

0
903

Tyler James Washington: Off-Campus Senator

Second-year, communications major and Spanish minor

By Danielle Dankner

Photo Courtesy of Tyler James Washington

Q: What position do you hold in the Senate and what, specifically, does it entail?

A: I am one of the 13 Off-Campus Senators and the Liaison for both the Isla Vista Tenant Union and the Associated Students Program Board. I also sit on the Comprehensive Child Care Advisory Committee. Essentially, as an Off-Campus Senator, I am in charge of adequately advocating and representing 1,000 constituents within the Isla Vista community.

Q: How did you initially get involved with Associated Students?

A: The first time I got involved with AS was the summer before freshman year. I attended the Guides Summer Orientation where I met Harrison Weber, our former AS president, and just felt that this is where I want to be.

Q: What are you passionate about in terms of helping our very unique community?

A: I am very passionate about transparency, safety and academic support. College is very difficult not only to get into, but also to maintain once we get in. I feel like these are issues that, as a student government, we should all be involved and concerned with.

Q: What motivated you to want to help our community?

A: I have always wanted to effect change regardless of where I am and I feel like student government is the core of [University of California Santa Barbara] and coming into UCSB I learned how important it is to get your word out there.

Q: What do you hope to gain from this experience?

A: Holistically, I hope to learn more about the association. I was very involved with student government in high school and acquired many useful skills throughout the experience. I hope to learn more about funding and financial issues regarding the university because eventually, I would like to open my own business and these financial skills would be very useful.