UCSB Engineering Student Passes Away

2
2895

Gwendolyn Wu
Campus Beat Reporter

Third-year chemical engineering major Jonah Matthew Lantaya passed away in his home in Goleta on Thursday, Mar. 31. Lantaya was 30 years old.

Prior to attending the University of California, Santa Barbara, Lantaya served as a medical laboratory technician for the U.S. Army and as a sergeant in the U.S. Army Reserves. He was an active member of UCSB’s veteran community, frequenting the Veterans Resource Center on campus.

“Jonah, you will be missed and will have a special place in my heart and memories,” a friend wrote in a memorial guest book online. “Without you, my life may have turned out differently. I’m grateful to have had you as a friend and for the impact your friendship has had on me.”

Katya Armistead, the dean of student life, informed the UCSB community on Lantaya’s passing via email on Wednesday, Apr. 6.

Lantaya’s funeral is scheduled for Saturday, Apr. 16, in his hometown of Oxnard.

If you or anyone you know has been impacted by the news of Lantaya’s passing, UCSB Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) can be reached on their 24-hour hotline at (805) 893-4411.

This article will be updated as we receive more information.