UCSB Psychology Student Passes Away

Gwendolyn Wu
Campus Beat Reporter

Alen Nazari, a senior psychology major at the University of California, Santa Barbara, passed away on Friday, April 8.

Nazari, a transfer student, was originally from Granada Hills, Calif. Dean of Student Life Katya Armistead notified university students, faculty and staff of his passing on Thursday, April 14.

As of early Thursday afternoon, a GoFundMe.com fundraiser for Nazari’s funeral expenses has raised $2,680, almost $200 over the $2,500 his family and friends requested.

“Every dollar counts, we always talked about starting “Gofundme’s” [sic] but I never thought it would be for a reason like this,” one friend wrote on the fund’s page. “Love you for ever [sic] and this is the least I can do to help … you were there for me countless times when I needed help or if I needed to be spotted some money for a rent payment or a drink on a night out. Love you bro.”

Nazari is the fourth UCSB student to pass away this year.

If you or anyone you know has been impacted by the news of Nazari’s passing, UCSB Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) can be reached on their 24-hour hotline at (805) 893-4411.

This article will be updated as we receive more information.

Gwendolyn Wu is a third year double majoring in history and sociology, and is the 2016-2017 Executive Content Editor of The Bottom Line. She grew up in the San Fernando Valley and attended Cleveland High School, and is interested in pursuing journalism as a career. When not poring over history books, she's watching Cutthroat Kitchen and mentoring first year students.