Home » Features » Currently Reading:

The Story Behind SB’s Dog, Cat and Rat Man
by Emilia Dellemonico

May 21, 2008 Features 36 Comments

If you’ve ever spent time on State Street, you’ve probably seen some of the unusual people that hang around down there. But there’s something even more unusual, and considerably more meaningful, than your run of the mill beggars, tourists, and street entertainers. It involves interspecies cooperation, and is known by those who have seen the popular youtube video about it simply as the man with the dog, the cat, and the rat. In reality, this astounding street act is more than just an act, it’s an authentic portrayal of love and acceptance across all boundaries.

Meet Gregory Pike and his furry entourage: Booger, Kitty, and Mousey. Every day he walks around State street with Booger, the dog, on a leash. On top of Booger sits Kitty, who holds on to the harness around Booger like a saddle. On top of Kitty sits Mousey (who is really a rat), wrapped closely around Kitty’s neck. Its obvious the bond between these animals is deep – they all accept one another as members of the same family, regardless of their species. Greg has been spreading this message of peace, respect, and tolerance for eight years, and has become an integral member of Santa Barbara society, known and loved by our community.
Hailing from a small town in Colorado, Gregory Pike has been studying animal habitats and psychology for about 30 years. He has worked with animal rescues and rehabilitation centers for mountain animals, and has a diverse background in animal training.

“I’m a legend in my own mind,” he jokes, as he explains how his interspecies group came about, “If it ain’t been done before, I’m gonna do it. As long as it’s humane.” It all started about nine years ago, when “Someone said it couldn’t be done” – no one believed a dog, cat, and a rat could all become best friends. Greg simply had to prove them wrong.

“The dog raised the cat — I used her gestatation period to raise the cat like a puppy. She chose Kitty from the litter, so she thinks it’s her baby.” The cat was then raised around all sorts of small animals, and treats the rat as if it were its own sibling. With the rat, “it’s all about food.” Rats, it turns out, are very open to interspecies pairing, as long as they aren’t threatened and are properly taken care of. While it seems odd for the cat and rat to be stacked on top of the dog, Pike explains that it is the animals “safety zone”: It is where the cat and rat feel most at home and protected by their surrogate mother. Of course, it also helps Pike and his pals walk around a little faster, as well as avoid possible rat or cat tripping incidents.

“I understand animals and why they do things. I understand some of the barks, and the meows, and what the different ways they do it mean. I’m not a Doctor Doolittle, but I know what they’re asking for.” Not surprisingly, Greg also has some insights into what makes people tick as well, and with his act hopes to be able to catch the attention of people to pass on his messages of peace and humanity to the human species.
“Animals are simple, people are complicated. People wanna see something different, something unusual, something cool. But there’s gotta be a message behind it.”

Pike’s message comes from the simple reality of what he and his animals have accomplished together. It proves that all animals, regardless of their most vicious tendencies towards each other, can be kind and caring toward one another. Obviously these animals are able to do something we humans simply have not completely managed to do.

“Peace can happen anywhere — if they can do it why can’t people? You know, they’re just ‘dumb’ animals, but now, who’re really the stupid ones?”

While currently residing in Santa Barbara, he hopes to someday soon open up and run a free pet adoption and rescue center. This is one of the main reasons why he keeps a can out for money. Eventually, the money will be going to help wild animals and pets, as well as bring animal shelter issues to the attention of more people in America. In his hometown of Telluride, Colorado, the non-euthanasia, regulated adoption policies have worked so well there are never any strays left in their shelter for long periods of time.

“In Bakersfield thousands of animals a month are put down. A thousand animals a month, that;s ridiculous,” Pike says noting that it costs cities thousands of dollars a month to pay for euthanasia of animals, when they could be making money for shelters through adoption and more effective advertising of animals in shelters. But even with such extraordinary goals, he refuses to accept money if it seems burdensome upon others, stressing that its more important to spread the thought of a friendlier, more tolerant world than to make money.

“I do survive on what I get, but I don’t want it to be about the money. When I see people digging for money, I tell them, if its that much work, I don’t want it. I don’t want you to work for me; I just want you to come up and take a picture and enjoy this. The message is always more important.”

With the help of friends, Greg is planning a website (coming soon at www.thedogcatrat.com) which will become the main source of income for his free animal rescue, shelter, and training center. He is also currently looking into hosting a radio show on local Santa Barbara radio station KTYD (99.9FM) to go further with his plans. He hopes to start the program in his home state of Colorado, and through his successes spread the ideas of more humane treatment and non-kill shelters for animals into other states, as well as to give kids a chance to visit with him and learn more about the love possible between all species.

But for the moment, Greg will continue his daily trips down State Street, bringing his amazing animal trio with him and letting people stare dumbfounded at what he has accomplished. When it comes down to it, it is the simple pleasure of bringing something different and meaningful to people that keeps him going, regardless of how much money gets thrown in his cup by the end of the day. Clearly, this man is no longer just a legend in his own mind.

Currently there are "36 comments" on this Article:

1. Dusty says:

Amazing. He is right about Bakersfield too. Our animal control is constantly under fire for how they handle and put down the animals as well. It’s sickening what animal control does to felines and canines.

2. [...] video below is not a setup. This guy, Gregory Pike hangs out in downtown Santa Barbara every day. From the Associated Students at UCSB website linked [...]

3. [...] This is no joke. From the Associated Students at UCSB website: [...]

4. amanda says:

this is the most amazing thing i have ever seen and it honestly does make me want to be a better person!! he is in san fransico now!! he is awsome!

5. Djohnson says:

Thats the most incredible thing i ever saw in my 21 years of life … how can i donate things to him or to his pets? like cat, dog and rat food, medication or even mooney. Does people on california help this guy? Someone grab this guy and make peace mensage videos to all of the world, please, they wont live forever and tomorrow maybe to late

6. Djohnson says:

Does someone give mooney to take those pets to Vet? and that man? Where does he sleep? help him please

7. Gregory Pike says:

I wanna thank you all for all your beautiful comments, and for your donations. I am NOT homeless, because of the donations. My animals go to the Vet.every 3 months for check-ups.
    Some people may say I or my animals are on drugs, but we indeed are not. If I were, I wouldn’t have a place to live or my animals, as they would’ve been taken away upon any arrest. As of now, I am almost in Dallas/Fort Worth, TX. If you would like to see me I will be in the Dallas Stockyards, or downtown Dallas. Sincerely Dog Cat Rat Man (Greg Pike)11/11/09.

8. Hi Mr. Pike,
    You are an amazing man! Thank you bringing out your talent to the whole world. Not everyone can do what you are doing. Thank you for speaking peace and love through your dog, cat and rat. Thank you for bringing smiles on everyone’s face. God bless you, and may your future be bright and good always.

9. Todd says:

I give this guy alot of credit. I think that he enjoys his life and does not really care what other people think. I look forward to viewing his website once he gets it up.

10. Brandon Rosser says:

Greg is now a resident of the great Fort Worth, TX. Despite living downtown, I have not seen him but I constantly see Facebook posts or hear from friends that have. He’s inspiring to say the least.

11. Dog says:

i saw them on tv lol thought thats the real life version of tom and jerry, nice to see they are healthy

12. Jason says:

I love animals and I really respect what this guy did. He’s awesome! I hope his venture is successful.

13. alex says:

greg is in my shop as we speak workin on gettin back on the road. he broke down here in canadian tx. him and the crew are awesome. the nicest guy you will ever meet!

14. Martha says:

The guy IS a beggar, and has been since his release from Federal Prison in the early 1980’s, and since his Crack-Cocaine (and other?) arrest(s) more recently. He is severely paranoid (for what reason??) and is understood to refuse to openly give his mailing address to even his family members.

Interestingly, Greg Pike had a very distinguished brother who has just raised at least 2 Foster daughters and recently put one in College, and who was working towards his PH.D. – before this particular brother of Greg’s was forced to flee the U.S. only because of a known false-conviction 25 years ago suddenly (and unlawfully) punishing him (unprovokingly punishing Greg Pike’s only professional brother 25 years after-the-fact).

This is being mentioned because the apparently jealous Greg Pike ‘did nothing to prevent’ the horrific false-conviction long-ago of his professional brother (the only professional in Greg’s psycho-warped family).

So before your heart goes out to ‘Gregory Pike’ – the Dog, Cat, Rat man… please think of what he must have done to put himself in that lifetime Bum-like situation, and what he’s done to some of his family sustaining his dangerous paranoia. But Greg isn’t the only one to blame for his obvious & evident short-comings in life; it is believed that his mother should have never had any children, and perhaps should have been locked-up in the local Psycho Farm.

15. Martha says:

The guy IS a beggar, and has been since his release from Federal Prison in the early 1980?s, and since his Crack-Cocaine (and other?) arrest(s) more recently. He is severely paranoid (for what reason??) and is understood to refuse to openly give his mailing address to even his family members.

Interestingly, Greg Pike had a very distinguished Brother who had recently raised at least 2 Foster daughters and put one in College, and who was working towards his PH.D.(Gregory’s only professional Brother – not Gregory) – before this particular brother of Gregory was forced to flee the U.S. only because of a known false-conviction 25 years ago suddenly (and unlawfully) punishing Gregory’s harmless Brother (unprovokingly punishing Gregory’s only professional brother 25 years after-the-fact).

This is being mentioned because the apparently jealous Gregory Pike ‘did nothing to prevent/when could have’ the horrific false-conviction long, long ago of his professional Brother (the only professional in Gregory’s psycho-warped family).

So before your heart goes out to ‘Gregory Pike’ – the Dog, Cat, Rat man… please think of what the influences he must have had to put himself in that lifetime Bum-like situation, and what he’s done to some of his family sustaining his dangerous paranoia. But Gregory certainly isn’t the primary person to blame for Gregory’s obvious & evident short-comings in life; it is widely believed that Gregory’s Mother was never supposed to have any children due to her family history of mental illnesses, and perhaps should have been locked-up instead in the local Psycho Farm.

However, Good job to Mr. Pike, considering what he had to work with in his unfair life.

16. EDNA LARRY says:

I WANT TO BUY YOUR ROTTWEILLER DOG PLS GIVE ME THE PRICE OF THE PUPPY
    AND ADULT(CAT,PUPPY,ADULT)(MALE FEMALE)WITH OTHER DOGS U HAVE.AND (DOG FOOD) (CATFOOD)(RAT FOOD)(DOG FORTE)(DRY FOOD)(CANNED FOOD)(NATURAL&ORGANIC DOG FOOD)(VALSPAR)(ORA CLENS)PETGREENS TREATS FOR DOGS)K-PLUS POTASSIUM CITRATE PLUS CRANBERRY)+(RAT/CAT FOR BUY)

FROM EDNA LARRY

17. [...] together, and the cute white rat actually feels more secure on top of its friends – here is a story behind this [...]

18. judy kozul says:

God Bless you and your animals.Don’t like to use my credit card for donations.How else can i donate? I will be praying for you and all animals.
    Sincerely
    Judy

19. Barb says:

Hi Gregory:

I would love to talk with you. I am working on an Animal Planet series and it would be fun to include video of you and your pets on the show. I can be reached at 818/333-8155 or by email at Barbara.Stephans@cherisundae.com.

Thanks! Barb Stephans

20. Barb says:

Hi Alex:

I would love to talk with Mr. Pike. I’m working on a television series and we would be interested in him participating on it. Do you know where he is now?

Thanks, Barb Stephans, 818/333-8155

21. [...] The Story Behind SB’s Dog, Cat and Rat Man ‘Dog-Cat-Rat Man’ Busted for Crack Possession What ever happened to Gregory Pike, the “Dog-Cat-Rat Man” ? Tweet This entry was posted in video and tagged gregory pike, youtube. Bookmark the permalink. ← morning has broken [...]

22. Helga Lehman says:

He better be careful in Texas, they will kill the cat. They do terrible things to them. Cut heads off and drive around with it in the car. Even college studens are cat killers. They even did it at Texas A&M[ Vet School. Hope he and his fur children are save!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Robert H. Pike says:

Someone needs to send this to Elen Degeneres….she’s constantly looking for animal lovers who need support and publicity.

24. Billy says:

Greg is in Seymour. tx parked in my yard for the night after transmission broke down on his yard tractor. Got him repaired and ready to roll.
    Dog, Cat, Rat all doing fine will be on road again soon.

Says he is heading for Sturgis.

25. Rick Xavior says:

someone please send this to our Arabs enemies.. why can`t Muslems& Christians take a piece of this?

alos to jews who hate palestians

26. Generally I don’t learn article on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to take a look at and do so! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thanks, quite great post.

27. Every day he walks around State street with Booger, the dog, on a leash. On top of Booger sits Kitty, who holds on to the harness around Booger like a saddle.

28. I want to congratulate Mr. Gregory Pike for his amazing fondness and the way he brought up the trio. How I wish all animal owners are like him so that there would never be incidents of animal bites and attacks again specially in California. Every pet owner should be responsible for the welfare of their pets and the people that might get hurt once they neglect them.

29. I love animals, your post is awesome, i didn’t think until now that can exist a friendship between a dog and a cat . Thank you for writing this, Nice blog.

30. Jim Burrell says:

My grandson and I saw you In Santa Fe a few years back. Will you be there this summer…..2012? We live in Missouri. He would love to see you, dog, cat and rat. I like what you are doing…..thanks.

31. Teresa says:

Greg U are an awesome guy. Hope u are all doing well in telluride. Hope to c u soon! Your friend .

32. Sandra Nimon says:

Mr. Pike,

I just met you and your amazing three pets on Saturday in Tellluride! I can’t tell you what a thrill that was. I knew nothing about you and saw your dog with Kitty on his back and this man came to me and said, that you have a rat, too and that you are on utube and famous. So, I practically stalked you until you came out with your rat. I read that your other precious dog passed away, but I’m pretty sure you called your current dog of 2012 Marley. Kitty is the same cat, but the rat looks different than Mousey. I would sure love to know what the new rats name is. Anyway…It was an amazing experience over and above the 365′ frozen water fall, Bridal Veil falls. Thank you for what you do!

33. Elke says:

Hello there! Would you mind if I share your blog with
    my twitter group? There’s a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Thanks

Here is my website: Elke

34. greg pike says:

i am the dogcatratman and i thank you for your comments. my grandparents on my moms side were married in a crazy house, after grandpa got out of prison for killing black people,so that made my mom a bigot. i was raised by this nutty lady. my dad was raised jn boys town NE.i was physical and mentally abused by my mom. i was out of the house at 15yrs old. i traveled for 2 years picking fruit for 10 dollars a day. i then joined the army in 1979. i was stationed in berlin guarding the wall. i got tired of watching people die trying to cross the wall to be free, i did something that i cant talk about to get out of the army. i was sent to jail for a year. i am not saying i was a perfect kid.i did get into a little trouble. i then traveled around doing odd jobs and had done some drugs for a few years. in 1998 i worked at a ski resort and got hurt on the job. while i was collecting workmans comp, i moved to telluride CO. i camped in the woods for 2 years putting my animal show together. i have been traveling till now doing this animal show. i am not a begger, i am a street performer. i have 2 brothers and 2 sisters. every time i try to locate them , my mom somehow finds out and calls the police , and says i am being threatening. i would like to find my brothers and sisters without martha a. pike or richard l. pike interfering.i am a good person and work hard for what i got. i have done things to survive that i am not proud of but the dog cat rat i am proud of . it makes people smile. i am not a con man and i do not cheat people.when i was arrested for crack, the only thing i had was pot, the rock they found was 20 ft. away on the ground. my life is great now. i live in moab UT. with a beautiful woman named linda. 435 259 7458

35. blahblah says:

Good resource, tnx for sharing it!!!
    blahblah http://blah-blah.com

Comment on this Article:

Twitter Feed

Arts & Entertainment

Stormy SoundClouds Gather on the Music Streaming Horizon

22 Oct 2014

8900627206_663826571c_b

Stephany Jones What first began as a small startup company in Berlin by two Swedish music enthusiasts back in 2007 has since exploded into a company valued at $700 million dollars and has become a new platform for up and coming artists. With over 250 million users, SoundCloud has become …

Barely Alive from New York, It’s Saturday Night!

22 Oct 2014

Luis SNL

Shomik Mukherjee Illustration by Luis Bondoc, Staff Illustrator When great things come to fall, as they always inevitably do, it presents us an opportunity to dissect the remains, and wonder about what went wrong. Personally, I’ve always found this vulture-like behavior agitating; not all demises warrant explanation, and some things …