Kimya Dawson Rocks the 777

16
68371

Simone Spilka
Writer

Quick Attack, Quinn Tuffinuff, Defiance, Ohio and Kimya Dawson performed a concert at the University Religious Center on Wednesday, January 19. The event was held to raise awareness about the interfaith cooperative household that will be taking over the 777 Camino Pescadero space in fall and was hosted by the Santa Barbara Student Housing Cooperative.

The future co-op aims to fulfill the URC’s mission to encourage interfaith understanding in Isla Vista and at the University of California Santa Barbara. The co-op also hopes to provide a neutral location for productive and challenging dialogues between representatives of groups often considered adversarial.

The space will be renovated into a communal house that provides an alternative style of living for eligible students, staff, and faculty where its new members will establish the vision of the co-op.

“They will be going on retreats, but since they are moving into a new house, they are creating the culture of the house themselves,” said Membership Services Coordinator Josh Redman.

This was the first event the SBSHC held at the URC to familiarize community members with the soon-to-be transformed building. The evening began at 6:00 p.m. for those interested in picking up fliers from local organizations, purchasing homemade hats from an IV local who works with recycled goods, or eating snacks donated by the IV Food co-op and Goleta farmers’ market.

Students shuffled into the venue and took seats on the floor while waiting for the music to start forty minutes later than expected due to a set of missing drumsticks. But the delay didn’t stop excited students from forming a mosh pit once the local Santa Barbara band, Quick Attack, took the stage. The four members, who met last year at other music shows, jumped at the opportunity to perform with larger name artists.

Taking the stage next was the quirky Quinn Tuffinuff, the one-woman acoustic guitarist who described her work as a compilation of quiet, little, hippie songs. Tuffinuff sang for a brief time between her jokes referencing college life, including comments like “I study hangin’ out and makin’ out. Do you guys have that here?”

After Tuffinuff’s mellow performance, Defiance, Ohio, composed of a drummer, two bassists, and a violinist attracted more people to the venue and brought the tempo back up. The highly anticipated band came arrived to a built-in fan base. Many students had seen them before and were looking forward to having the opportunity to hear them in such an intimate setting.

By 10:00 p.m. the entire venue had filled and people reclaimed their seats on the ground for Kimya Dawson, most commonly known for her appearance on the Juno soundtrack, and whose chilled demeanor brought back the relaxed atmosphere of Tuffinuff. Suffering from laryngitis, Dawson was happy to play calmer songs such as “Walk Like Thunder,” and “The Beer,” from older albums, and she encouraged audience participation.

The sick artist took song suggestions and then encouraged the audience to help sing along.

“”If you know it you should sing it, because I’m dying up here,” she said.

Dawson definitely got laughs as she cracked a joke at one of her own songs.

“This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever written,” she said as a prelude to the well-known song “Tire Swings.”

After asking for assistance, Dawson’s wingman, Pablo Das, took over and stole the show by singing a song he wrote about Proposition 8. The audience was hugely responsive to his willingness to give a voice and face to the Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-Transgender community.

“Our vibe is mainly authenticity. We really like to push the edge, to show us in a space of vulnerability that allows us to invite people in,” Das said.

Photo By: Gabrielle Dimaranan

16 COMMENTS

1. I delight in, result in I discovered exactly what I used to be looking for.
    You have ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day.
    Bye

2. Hi, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your website in Firefox, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, amazing blog!

3. You really make it appear really easy with your presentation but I in finding this matter
    to be actually one thing that I feel I’d by no means understand.
    It seems too complicated and extremely broad for
    me. I am looking forward in your next publish, I’ll try to get the cling of it!

4. We absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post’s to be precisely
    what I’m looking for. Would you offer guest writers to write content to suit your needs?
    I wouldn’t mind producing a post or elaborating on some of the subjects you write about here.
    Again, awesome website!

5. Fantastic site you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any community forums that cover
    the same topics talked about here? I’d really like to
    be a part of community where I can get feed-back from
    other experienced individuals that share the same interest.
    If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Cheers!

6. Appreciating the time and effort you put into your website and in depth information you offer.

It’s nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t
    the same outdated rehashed information. Excellent read! I’ve bookmarked your
    site and I’m adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

7. Greate pieces. Keep posting such kind of
    info on your site. Im really impressed by your site.

Hi there, You’ve done a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and in my opinion recommend to my friends.
    I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this web site.

8. Serving the Buffalo / Dallas County Missouri area since
    1957 Find a Trailer DirectionsCall 471-345-7712 or come by anytime.
    We are here to serve you.

Used Cars and Trucks: Great selection of high quality clean used cars
    and trucks.

Trailers: We have the best trailers in the Southwest.

You will find the best single or double axle utility, flat beds, tilts, large dump,
    cargo, and covered stock trailers.

Collision Repair Services: Sharpe Motors has a full service “state-of-the-art” auto collision repair shop.
    Our trained repair experts can bring your collision damaged vehicle back
    to pre accident condition. Our shop is equipped with unibody repair
    equipment. We focus on providing top quality body shop repairs and services.

SHARPE MOTORS was established in 1957 by the late Dale Sharpe and his wife Jenora.
    They built a very successful Service Oriented business over the years and
    contributed their success to always putting the customer first.

Today, Kevin Sharpe, who took over the business in 1985, continues “Customers First with
    Good Service” as he provides the highest quality Sales and Collision Repair services, Car,Truck
    & Trailer Sales in the Buffalo / Dallas County Missouri area.
    You will find great down home, face to face, quick and honest service.

We are here to serve you. Call or come by anytime.

9. It’s really very complicated in this active life to listen news on Television, so I just use web
    for that purpose, and take the most recent information.

10. Hi colleagues, its great piece of writing concerning cultureand completely explained, keep it up all
    the time.

11. I must say you have very interesting posts here. Your blog should go viral.
    You need initial boost only. How to get it? Search for; Etorofer’s strategies